Saturday, July 23, 2011

Sick Day

Ugh. Woke up the other morning super nauseas! Now this is when I would used to pound some ginger ale and pepto bismol but now that I’m cutting down on added sugar- I thought I’d try a new approach.

Cranberry Kombucha Tea
I started with Kombucha because it is carbonated and figured it would do that thing that makes grandparents force-feed you 7-up when you don’t feel well. The kombucha tea I drank has only 3g of sugar for 8 fluid ounces. It also has folic acid, tons of B vitamins, and a ton of live cultures. Now what about 7-up? Not only almost eight times as much sugar but three times as many calories and carbs.

Miso Soup
I chose to eat miso soup instead of chicken noodle- because... come on, I haven’t eaten chicken noodle since I was nine. I just discovered miso soup recently- and let me say YUM. The tofu and bean curd gave me protein and helped me feel full without feeling gross or icky. For a little extra filling feeling I add some cooked rice. (Working on my recipe- check back soon!)

Blackberry Hibiscus Mama Chia
I’m working on a whole piece on why chia seeds are amazing. But in a nutshell, the protein, omega-3s, antioxidants, fiber, and calcium make me feel great and the texture is super fun! Here is Mama Chia’s article on chia to hold you over till I finish mine.

Anyway, after all of this, some rest, and some brown rice cakes I felt a lot better. What do you guys do when you have a sick day?


No comments:

Post a Comment