Sunday, July 24, 2011

Gluten Free Corn Pancakes with Beans and Kale



This breakfast was another “what do I have in my kitchen” recipe. It was a Sunday and I thought I wanted something brunch-y and I still wanted to feel good after. This was the perfect strange combination for me.

For the Beans and Kale- you could use any kind of beans. I was planning on black beans and I apparently ran out. After a quick search I discovered a can of white beans I forgot about. Yum! Since the beans were salted- I soaked and rinsed them a few times, and found I didn’t need any added salt at all. After deciding to just add a little pepper, I was particularly please when Brian asked what I seasoned them with because they were so good. I occasionally need to remind myself that sometimes simple is better!


Gluten Free Corn Pancakes
1-½ cups of masa
½ cup corn meal
2 cups boil water
¼ coconut oil (My favorite but you can use any kind)
Egg replacer for 2 eggs
1 tablespoon baking powder
¼ agave nectar

1.     Boil the water
2.     Mix masa and corn meal
3.     Add water to masa mixture and stir just until combined
4.     Add other ingredients stir gently.
5.     Cook like pancakes, I melt a little more coconut oil in a pan and fry them up.
6.     Add more agave like syrup for eating!


White Beans and Kale

1 Can of White Beans
3 Leafs of Black Kale (torn up into bite size pieces)
Olive Oil
Pepper

1.              If the beans have salt added, rinse them really well. Heck- even soak them for a few minutes. Drain them and put them in a pot on medium heat.
2.              After a few minutes add a little oil and the kale.
3.              Sautee until kale has softened in texture.


2 comments:

  1. this looks delicious! thanks for sharing.

    carrie
    plumsintheicebox.typepad.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome! Thanks for reading xo

    ReplyDelete