Saturday, July 30, 2011

Anna Mae’s Power Cookies



Anna Mae is my friend. She’s vegan and watching her on some camping and other adventures, I realized that being vegan doesn’t mean just salads if you're out and about. Last time I saw her we went to the Lotus Festival- I went searching to buy some vegan treats and she busted out these vegan and gluten free “cookies.” She made them very simple but let me know she jazzes them up for her boyfriend.

The idea of chickpeas, applesauce, and oatmeal instead of flour, butter, and sugar sounds weird- but trust me it’s great. If you don’t like the taste of chickpeas I highly suggest adding a tablespoon of peanut or almond butter. It doesn’t overwhelm the recipe, but it kind of cancels out the bean-y taste.

If you are allergic to gluten or are avoiding gluten completely, make sure you get gluten free oats! I bought a giant thing of Quaker Oats a few months ago at Costco, and although I’m avoiding white flour and a lot of gluten- I’m also try to be resourceful and I refuse to waste the food!

My favorite version of this recipe is the basic recipe + agave, vanilla, cinnamon, almond, butter, mashed banana, vegan chocolate chips, raisins, and chopped walnuts. I’ve been doing a lot of experimenting though, zucchini and carrots- I’ll let you know if I have a breakthrough in deliciousness!

These cookies are a perfect replacement for protein bars. I take these everywhere now! Work, the zoo, amusement parks, and the movies. Hope you enjoy them!



Anna Mae’s Power Cookies


Basic Recipe:

2 cans of chickpeas (drained and rinsed)
1 cup of applesauce
1 cup of oatmeal
2 tbsp of oil
2 tsp of baking powder
2 tsp of baking soda
Any amount of optional ingredients*

1.              Preheat oven to 350, line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
2.              Blend chickpeas and applesauce in blender until smooth.
3.              Add the rest of the ingredients and stir until combined.
4.              Spoon onto cookie sheet in heaping tablespoons and bake for 30-35 minutes.

* Optional Ingredients:
1 tbsp of agave
2 tsp vanilla
Sprinkle of cinnamon
2 tbsp of almond or peanut butter
1 mashed banana
½ cup vegan chocolate chips
½ cup raisins
¼ cup sunflower seeds
¼ cup chopped nuts
2 tablespoons of cocoa powder



No comments:

Post a Comment