I recently tried a new spaghetti squash recipe, and although it was nice- I always return to this recipe. I was trying to figure something new for dinner and my coworker, Lisa, just rattled off this recipe off the top of her head. It sounded great so I added a few things and Brian and I loved it.
If you’ve never cooked spaghetti squash before, you are in for a treat! It’s very easy, very fun, and very interesting. The texture is amazing for being a squash! I found this great page with easy directions on all the different ways to cook the squash. This website gives very easy step-by-step directions on how to cook a spaghetti squash. I prefer the boiling method.
1 Spaghetti squash cooked and scooped out
2 cups of tomato sauce
3 Roma tomatoes, diced
1 medium yellow onion, diced
2 cloves crushed garlic
1 large zucchini, sliced very thin (I use a vegetable peeler)
1 cup of Daiya mozzarella “cheese”
1. Preheat oven to 350. Sauté onions in olive oil over medium low heat. Add garlic. Sauté till translucent.
2. Add sauce and tomatoes and continue cook on medium low.
3. In a 12”X9” baking dish evenly lay about half the cooked spaghetti squash out. Spread a cup of the tomato sauce mixture over. Then sprinkle half the cheese over the sauce.
4. Next lay out the thinly sliced zucchini out over the cheese like lasagna strips. Spread the rest of the squash over the zucchini, the rest of the sauce over the squash and the rest of the cheese over the sauce.
5. Bake for about 30 minutes.