Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Mocha Almond Fudge and Devil's Food Cupcakes Part 2 of 3

Mocha Almond Fudge and Devil's Food Cupcakes
inspired by Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World

For Cupcakes:
3 fake eggs (I used Ener G Egg Replacer)
1/2 cup coconut oil or Earth Balance (I used Earth Balance)
1/4 cup hot water with 1 tbsp of instant coffee mixed in
1/4 cup almond milk plain unsweetened
1/4 cup vegan chocolate chips (I use enjoy life mini chips)
2 tsp of cocoa powder
1 tsp of almond extract
1 tsp of vanilla extract 

1. Preheat oven to 325*F. Line cupcake pan
2. Mix the fake eggs and set aside
3. Mix cake mix, Earth Balance until combined, add eggs and mix well.
4. Split batter in half, to one half add the hot water with coffee and almond extract. To the other half add the almond milk, chocolate chips, cocoa powder, and vanilla extract.
4. Fill cupcake liners 2/3 of the way (I think the mix made 9 of each flavor or 18 total cupcakes for me)
5. Bake for 20-30 minutes. Check with toothpick. 
6. Cool COMPLETELY before frosting.

For Mocha Glaze:
3/4-1 cup powdered sugar 
1 tbsp Earth Balance or coconut oil (I used earth balance)
1-2 tsp almond milk
1-2 tsp warm water
2 tsp instant coffee
dash of almond extract
marizipan for decoration 
more powdered sugar for decoration
cinnamon for decoration
chocolate chips for decoration 
1. Time for the marzipan decorations! I rolled out the marzipan in powdered sugar, cut the shapes out with a cookie cutter and set aside. (There are tons of how tos, videos and blogs around. This is a more complicated route, but I think Vegan Yum Yum is amazing so check this one)   
2. Cream half the sugar and margarine until crumbly.  
3. Add in almond milk, water, and coffee, and beat in remaining sugar.  
4. Adjust consistency if needed, it should be pretty soupy.
5. Dip each mocha cupcake top into the frosting and roll until covered. While frosting is still wet, add the marizpan decroations. I made flowers and put a chocolate chip in the middle. Then I sprinkled cinnamon over everything. Yum!

For Chocolate Frosting:
1 3/4- 2 3/4 cups powdered sugar (I used a looooot)
1 tbsp Earth Balance or coconut oil (I used earth balance)
2-4 tsp almond milk
1 tbsp of cocoa powder
dash of vanilla extract 
1. Cream half the sugar and margarine until crumbly.  
2. Add in almond milk and cocoa powder, and vanilla extract, and beat in remaining sugar.  
3. Adjust consistency if needed.
4. Pipe frosting on top of cupcakes, I made it tall, swirly and wonderful, then I took chocolate chips and sprinkled them over everything. You'll note from my photo I did NOT wait the proper amount of time to frost the cupcakes. Haha.

EDIT: Due to the controversy surrounding Bob's Red Mill products right now, I'm unsure I want to promote them. There are other gluten free mixes (I've used Betty Crocker's which was pretty good) you can use, just adjust the liquid ingredients to what the mix you purchased asks for.

No comments:

Post a Comment